Welcome to the Northern Summer School, York, registration website for 2018!
Those responsible for the organisation of Summer School are seeking to create an environment of learning, companionship, sharing and service. In the words of the Guardian, written in October 1947,
“Summer school is, indeed, a wonderful experience, for at the present time it is the only institution that affords the Bahá�is of England an opportunity of all living together, for however short time, as a community, and this and the spirit it engenders, has a very inspiring affect”.
We are seeking to give all participants the opportunity to be of service. To contribute to the success of this event, building capacity, skill sharing, and having fun and enjoyment together. In a letter written on behalf of the Guardian, in May 1932 he said
“How wonderful it would be if all the friends could arrange to spend at least a few days in one of these summer schools and take an active part in their development.”
Theme of the Summer school
This year the theme is A period of Special Potency
reflecting this time between the two Bi-Centennial celebrations of the Births of Bahá’u’lláh and the Bab and the impetus that brings to all that we do.
The setting for the Summer School is Queen Ethelburgas Collegiate
which is everything you would want for a learning community environment. We urge you to visit their website and acquaint yourself with the setting, facilities, and a map with directions as to how to reach the School. Website: www.qe.org
For this year we have been able to secure ground floor and third floor rooms. All rooms can have single occupancy, for couples, or families. There is no surcharge. All rooms can accommodate up to five people. All rooms are ’en suite’ and have kitchen facilities, so be sure to bring whatever you need for drinks/snacks. They also have washing machines.
When you register for the full time period of five days, included in the cost is the accommodation, courses, additional activities, the evening meal on the Friday, and all meals ending with lunch on Wednesday.
Within the cost are two meals, lunch and the evening meal, access to the course you chose and all the facilities for that day.
Full benefit will be experienced when attending for the full five day period of the Summer School which begins at 3:00pm on Friday 10th August and ends at 2:00 pm on Wednesday afternoon the 15th August. If at all possible we would encourage full time attendance.
Are provided in the morning. During the afternoon you can prepare your own refreshments using the facilities in the accommodation rooms. Please remember to bring your own preferred tea, coffee, milk, and snacks/treats. It is our intention to enable cold and hot drinks that can be purchased in the Bronte meeting room. We suggest that you bring an empty container that you can fill with water which will be useable for you throughout the day.. and saves on more plastic waste!
There are many facilities for our use, from most sports, a swimming pool, to A Secret Garden where peace and tranquility rein. Although there are bedding and towels provided in the accommodation you are advised to bring your own towels when using the swimming pool.
Prices and payments:
All payments are to be made on line. The National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'is of the United Kingdom has agreed to subsidise the cost of attending this event for those in need of support, to encourage universal participation and to ensure that costs are not a hinderance to you attending. If you decide that you need such support, please select the relevant option in the form below (i.e."Subsidised Price" rather than "Full price"). When you select the option, the price will automatically be up-dated to reflect the subsidised amount.
Please note we operate on a ’first-come-first-served’ basis!
|Adult: (11 years )||₤215|
|Children: (5 � 10 years)||₤175|
|Children under 5||Free|
|Day Visitors (non resident)||₤25 per day|
The registration period will close on 20th July 2018, or earlier if capacity is reached.
Courses and Programme:
Plenary sessions will be held every morning:
The afternoon sessions: Offer participants a choice from several courses that you will follow thoughout your stay. All participants aged fifteen and over choose a course to attend which is indicated when you register.
Summer School Courses
- Letters to the Kings
- The World Order of Bahá’u’lláh
- Wealth and Prosperity
- The Kitáb-i-lqán
for course descriptions.Institute Course options:
- Ruhi Book One, in English and Farsi
- Ruhi Book Three (Refresher)
- Ruhi Book Five (Refresher)
- Ruhi Book Eight, Unit One
- Ruhi Book Eight, Unit Two
- Ruhi Book Eight, Unit Three
NB: You are asked to make your choice carefully.
JUNIOR YOUTH PROGRAMME: Detail TBC
CHILDREN�S CLASSES: Detail TBC
Children and Unaccompanied Young People
These guidelines come from the National Spiritual Assembly and its Office for Safeguarding Children.
Please note that all children under the age of 18 must bring to the school a completed Parental Consent Form even if they are attending as a day visitor. Children attending the school without their parents must be accompanied by the designated guardian and bring a completed Guardianship Form. It is the responsibility of the child�s parents to find a suitable guardian for their children. Both forms are available from the Downloads page. You will be asked for these forms when you arrive at the school. Without them you cannot be registered, will be turned away and escorted off campus. If you have any questions, please contact the Registrar.
Child Protection Officers
Child Protection Officers are the first point of contact for any Children, Junior Youth or Youth that have any concerns or problems whilst attending the Summer School. The Child Protection Officers will be identified to the young people as part of the registration process on arrival.
Please read all of the below before attempting to register
- Choose a contact person, this is the first name to be registered, must be over 18 and will be the designated group leader.
- Select your residence status � Resident, or Day Visitor (non-resident).
- Choose your course; If the Course you would prefer is full, an alternative will need to be sought. Kindly note we may also need to reassign your course due to circumstances beyond our control.
- Complete all required sections for each attendee.
- If there is anyone under 18 in your group, complete all relevant sections.
- Download, print, fill-in and sign the Parental Consent Form for each person under 18 and bring with you to the school.
- If there is a member of your group under 18 who is not a family relation then download the Guardianship Form to be completed and signed by the parent/legal guardian and bring with you to the school. You will be asked to present it upon arrival during school registration.
- Anyone aged 4-14 will be automatically be assigned a class.
- Check the information summary after you submit (discrepancies will cause delays in your booking going through)
- Email the Registrar if you need any information.
Booking closes 20th July 2018 or sooner if capacity is reached.
In order to help facilitate and enhance the existing charm of a friendly, intimate and learning Summer School, and in line with fostering a spirit of service, accompaniment and skill sharing that will be encouraged throughout your stay, volunteers are needed for the following:
- Directing and escorting families and other guests to their assigned accommodation
- Supervision and activities for children during plenaries, etc.
- If you have something special that you would like to offer for a devotional, a sung prayer, a chant, a beautiful reading voice etc then please check the relevant box when applying and we shall try to include you.
- If you play and are able to bring a musical instrument which could contribute to a devotional or a separate activity, also please check the relevant box during the on-line registration.
Bahá’i Bookshop: The Bahá’i Bookshop will be available throughout the Summer School period and is located in ’The Atrium’ aspect of the accommodation block where we all will be staying.
Those of you that will be doing the Ruhi Institute courses will be able to purchase the Published Books you need at the Book Shop. Please check the relevant box during the on-line registration.
NB: Those taking the Ruhi Book Eight courses for Units One, Two, or Three and Ruhi Book Three, by registering you will be added to the printing list and your pre-publication copy will be ready for you to purchase when you arrive for registration at the Summer School.
We process personal information to enable us to carry out the work of the National Spiritual Assembly
and fulfil our legal obligations which may include managing our membership records, providing education, offering pastoral care,
managing funds and maintaining our own accounts and records, and protecting and propagating the principles of the Bahá'í Faith.
Personal information which you supply to us may be shared or processed with other Bahá'í administrative bodies and will be done
so in compliance with the 1998 Data Protection Act.
Please see this link for the full Privacy notice: https://www.bahai.org.uk/data-protection-privacy-notice